Awards > Associate of Science
Associate of Science | Awards
Mid-Plains Community College offers the Associate of Arts, Science, and General Studies degrees for students intending to complete a baccalaureate degree at an upper division institution.
MPCC college advisors assist students wishing to transfer using specially developed transfer guides specific to the declared major and the receiving college.
Going on to a Four Year University
Most four-year colleges will accept up to 60 semester credit hours of freshman- and sophomore-level credits earned at a community college and require at least a "C" in each course transferred. At the initial advisory session, the student and advisor will plan a course of study to enable students to meet these requirements.
Students should obtain a personal copy of the catalog from the transfer institution. This publication is usually available from the admissions office of the receiving institution for a nominal charge. It is the student's responsibility to become familiar with all pertinent transfer requirements.
In some cases, completing the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or Associate of General Studies degree at MPCC satisfies the general education requirements at the freshman and sophomore levels at transfer institutions. Students should identify a possible major at the receiving institution in order to begin the appropriate sequence of courses needed to complete their baccalaureate degrees in a timely fashion. It is important that students wishing to complete a BA or BS degree in four years complete lower division prerequisites at MPCC before enrolling in upper division courses at the transfer institution. If prerequisites are postponed, enrollment in advanced courses and eventual graduation from the transfer institution are likely to be delayed.
When possible, students should meet with a representative from the transfer institution to discuss a program of study. After transfer, students will be assigned advisors at the receiving institution. If students are not assigned an advisor at the receiving institution, they should seek to obtain one. If students encounter any difficulty in transferring courses, assistance should be requested from the Vice President for Educational Services and Student Development.
Degree requirements include:
- A minimum of 60 semester credit hours of coursework.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
- Completion of 30 semester credit hours or the last 15 semester credit hours at MPCC.
- General education courses: a minimum of 37 semester credit hours for the Associate of Arts degree, a minimum of 28 semester credit hours for the Associate of Science degree, and a minimum of 15 semester credit hours for the Associate of General Studies degree. The specific courses meeting the general education requirements are listed under each degree.
- All financial obligations to the college must be fulfilled.
- Meeting with advisors to initiate Intent to Graduate one semester prior to the completion of degree requirements. Degrees will be conferred in May, August, or December.
- Student participation in the commencement exercises is required unless excused for a valid reason by the Dean of Student Life on each campus. Commencement exercises are held each year at the close of the spring semester.
Upon completion of Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of General Studies successful students should be able to:
- Apply effective written (English) skills,
- Use effective oral (English) skills,
- Demonstrate library skills necessary to continue educational endeavors,
- Demonstrate an awareness of a variety of cultures, their values, institutions, and traditions,
- Apply computational skills to the solution of problems,
- Apply the scientific method to the solution of problems, and
- Demonstrate the knowledge and critical thinking skills necessary to transfer to a four-year college or university.
NOTE: Currently the University of Nebraska at Kearney requires twelve credit hours of Writing Intensive classes and six credit hours of Cultural Diversity classes. In order to help UNK transfer students fulfill some of those requirements, a number of MPCC courses have been selected to comply with UNK's Writing Intensive (WI) and Cultural Diversity (CD) components. MPCC courses will be designated in the MPCC schedule with a (WI) or (CD) after the course number. UNK will accept six credit hours each of WI and CD classes from MPCC.