The ACCUPLACER test assesses a student’s skill levels in writing, reading, and mathematics.
The results of the assessment, in conjunction with a student’s program of study, are used by academic advisors to determine course selection and placement.
ACCUPLACER is an adaptive test. This means that the computer automatically determines which questions are presented to the student based on responses to prior questions. This technique selects just the right questions for the student’s level of ability. Each multiple-choice test is untimed so that the student can give each question as much thought as needed.
This is not a pass/fail testing system!
Mid-Plains Community College is using the Accuplacer Classic Tests
Score Range for each multiple-choice test is a scale score of 20-120
The Classic tests available are:
Reading Comprehension (20 questions)
Sentence Skills (20 questions)
Arithmetic (17 questions)
Elementary Algebra (12 questions)
College Level Math (20 questions)
It is possible for a student beginning with the Arithmetic test to be routed up to the Elementary Algebra test and routed up again to the College Level Math test.
Likewise, it is possible for a student beginning with the Elementary Algebra test to be routed down to Arithmetic questions or routed up to College Level Math questions.
How can I prepare for the tests?
It is recommended that the student review websites and/or materials prior to testing that provides sample ACCUPLACER test questions. This will help alleviate some test-taking anxiety and provide test familiarity.
FREE Practice Materials and Study App Link:
ACCUPLACER Test Study Guide:
Other apps may be available FOR A FEE through the Apple iTunes Store (compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad).
Schedule Your Test
at one of the following MPCC locations:
McCook Community College
Student Success Center
von Riesen Library – Lower Level
1205 East Third St.
McCook, NE 69001
North Platte Community College – North Campus
Career Services – W.W.Wood Room 205
1101 Halligan Dr.
North Platte, NE 69101
North Platte Community College – South Campus
Student Success Center – McB Room 144
601 W. State Farm Rd.
North Platte, NE 69101
Broken Bow Campus
2520 South E St.
Broken Bow, NE 68822
Imperial, NE 69033
512 B St. South
Ogallala, NE 69153
113 North Hall
Valentine, NE 69201
Special Testing Arrangement
A student with a documented disability(ies) may request that their testing be administered with accommodations. Please contact the MPCC Disability Services personnel, 308.535.3637, prior to testing, to discuss procedures for submitting documentation and the accommodations that can be provided with the ACCUPLACER testing. A testing appointment will be scheduled after this initial discussion.
This testing arrangement should be utilized by a student who needs to take the ACCUPLACER placement testing in order to enroll at a postsecondary institution other than Mid-Plains Community College (MPCC).
Have the student call the testing center at the institution they plan to attend and request to register for a REMOTE ACCUPLACER test. That institution will gather information from the student to generate a REMOTE TEST VOUCHER.
The student may now call to schedule their test session at the MPCC location they indicated as their chosen test site (see telephone numbers to the right). This arrangement allows the student to test locally, using the tests specifically needed for their desired institution of enrollment. There is no need to fax or mail the test scores, as they are a part of that institution’s database.
There is NO fee for this test arrangement at any of the MPCC test sites.
What you Need To Know
- Testing can be scheduled at any of the MPCC campus locations.
- The student must have an MPCC Student ID# assigned to them prior to testing. Please discuss this with the test center staff at the time a test appointment is scheduled.
- Please bring a photo ID to test.
- Calculators, dictionaries, and other study materials are not allowed in the testing area.
- Scratch paper will be provided, but must be returned upon completion of testing.
- This test is not timed, so please do not RUSH through it. The full, three-part test, consisting of mathematics, sentence skills, and reading comprehension takes approximately 90 minutes.
- At the conclusion of the test, the student will immediately receive their score results on an Individual Score Report (ISR), including placement messages. The test proctor will review the scores with the student and answer questions.
- There is NO cost for your first testing session. A student may retake any or all of the subject tests at a fee of $5/subject. It is recommended that a student wait at least one day before retesting.
- The student may schedule an advising appointment, at the completion of ACCUPLACER testing, to set up their class schedule.
- Placement scores are valid for 3 years from date of testing.
- ACCUPLACER scores are accepted at the Nebraska community colleges, tribal colleges, and Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture. PLEASE NOTE: Cut-scores and course recommendations may vary per institution!