Commercial Driver Training
MPCC’s Commercial Driver License (CDL) program utilizes in-person classroom instruction and on-the-road driving time to prepare students for the Department of Motor Vehicles Commercial Driver’s License Examination.
Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) provides the curriculum as required by the Department of Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Course instruction focuses on:
- Basic operation
- Safety procedures
- Advanced operations
- Vehicle systems and reporting
- Additional non-driving activities such as handling cargo
Students must complete each module at 80% or higher to successfully pass the course. The EDLT course prepares students for a Class A or B license, while incorporating endorsements in hazardous materials, passenger and school bus.
The Behind the Wheel (BTW) driving consists of range driving, public road driving, vehicle inspection, safety, advanced operation, and cargo securement.
A State of Nebraska examiner administers the license examination.
Per Federal regulations, ELDT Behind the Wheel training must be completed within one year of the completion of ELDT Theory training.
Completion of this course does not Guarantee a CDL license.
|GAP Funding Application|
In the range driving portion of EDLT, students will have the opportunity to apply techniques and theory as presented in ELDT classroom. Students will learn on-the-road and range driving skills. Students will cover safety, vehicle inspection, advanced operation, and cargo securement. This class will prepare students for the CDL drive test, as well as complete the ELDT course requirements.
- Two-week, in person, classroom theory instruction.
- Three-week, in-person, hands-on instruction.
- Requires valid Learner Permit (before enrolling in the class).
- Requires a DOT physical (by 1st day of class).
- The skills test is conducted by a State of Nebraska examiner on the MPCC North Platte campus and on a state approved route.
- Test cost is $300 with our truck for the first test and $75 per section for a retest
- For Nebraska residents there is possibility for Gap funding. Click the link for the Gap application.
This course does not Guarantee a CDL license.
Students must meet all of the above guidelines and have all of the required documentation before class begins.
- The HAZMAT endorsement.
- School bus and passenger bus endorsements (Spring of 2023).
Entry Level Driving Training
Call Jeff Smeltzer at (308) 535-3687 to reserve your seat in one of the courses below:
- November 14 - December 20
- January 9 - February 10
- February 27 - March 31
- April 17 - May 22
- June 5 - July 11
- DOT Physical is required prior to enrollment.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) is required prior to enrollment.
- Have a current driver’s license with no more than three moving violations in the past three years.
- Have no DUI charges in the past five years and no more than one ever.
- Have no more than one chargeable accident in the past year.
These requirements are based on DOT regulations, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, Part 390 Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (General), Part 383 Commercial Driver’s License Standards, and Part 391 Qualifications of Drivers.